R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 35 Amp Graded cells from SMC coming soon
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 03:04 PM
UCHEATULOSE
Tech Master

stolen from danny from another forum:

To convert runtime from 30 to 35 you multiply the runtime by the discharge rate and then divide that number by the rate you want to convert it to.

Example: 360 @ 35 is 360x35 = 12600 divide by 30 = 420

There is no true way to convert voltage because it all depends on the cells IR. But on a decent voltage cell it's about .015 difference. On a lower voltage cell it can be up to .025.

I hear you about the numbers being different.

The 35 amp matched pack will be sold for the racer who needs and wants the best possible matched pack not the one who is looking for the best looking numbers on the stickers.

When I got CE to come out with the AIR and was the first company to use this new number I was accused by many of cheating and doing this to get rid of bad cells. Well I did it because I believed this was the best way to match a pack and over time my competitors eventually caught on and changed to it. So I think people will get use to 35 amps.

We will also keep supplying 30 amp matched packs until the market gets completely use to 35 amps.

The current equipment we have can only go to 35 amps so I have never tested 40 amps. I would have to say that 40 amps would probably be better than 35 amps but without testing it I can't really say for sure.

would like to keep both packs with the same retail. What i'm trying to do is to get the mod guys to be able to get packs with higher runtime through the local track or hobbyshop. The way things are now we sell 390+ in 3 different groups seperated by voltage. So hopefully this would mean that if you race modified you can get a high capacity pack. The voltage difference will most likely be .005 which is not big difference. With message boards such as this I think it's a great way to feel out what the customer needs and want and that is very important to me.

GP cycles and tests every cell it produces and in an attempt to sell cases with more consistent numbers they pick out cells that have higher average voltage on their equipment and set them aside. They will then sell you 10% of your total order of these supposedly higher average voltage cells.

It has been my experience that GPs test equipment is different than what we use and they see a bigger fluctuation in voltage than what we see. So on their machines a 1.12 can be 1.13-1.14 on ours and a 1.15 will only be 1.14-1.15. So when they think they have a super voltage cell it really isn't that much better on our equipment.

A case of top 10% cells will normally yield more 1.17s than a regular case but there still will be lower voltage cells. I have also seen regular cases be every bit as good as the 10% cases so that leads me to believe that their sorting or test equipment isn't to accurate. end of danny posts:

below is my rant,lol.......

and the team thing: at nationals and very large events each team member gets 1 pack for the week or weekend. the team guys during the year get avg batteries to run at the local level.
if you ever get a chance to meet danny and you want to try a pack of his at a big race dont be afraid to ask him. i have heard several stories from local florida racers that cannot believe he lent them a pack to run in the D or E main.. to be honest you should be able to walk up to any of the team guys and borrow a pack to try..just leave me your credit card and drivers license,lol....danny is a racer just like us..he is always looking for a better way to do things. if you think 35 amps is a gimmick than i'm a fool! lol

and i'm sorry but pro match,fukuyama,surge,kinetix...trinity , reedy, orion, peak, power push...none of those quality matchers have 35 amp numbers on there cells..and those are the companies i see in all the magazines with there name next to the A main winners? if someone else is selling 35 amp batteries it's not helping them cause they aint winning races.. win on sunday sell on monday... and like EA said sandhills and danny are tight..and i have seen there stuff in magazines lately...

it's just very hard to say this guys batteries are the best when i dont see there name next to someone in a A main ..in all honesty they could be great batteries ..who knows for sure..but 99% believe great stuff wins major races? just like great drivers do and great cars...

Danny-SMC
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Danny-SMC
Send email to Danny-SMC
Visit Danny-SMC's homepage!
Find all posts by Danny-SMC
Add Danny-SMC to Your Buddy List