R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen or Losi?
Thread: Mugen or Losi?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 10:19 AM
merdith6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Mugen

I always ran Kyosho, and as far back as the whatever the Mugen was before the mbx-5 and never really thought much of them. then I ran the Xray, its an awesome car and didn't want to change but my friend Joe garrett said, why don't you try the Mugen. Here is a used one, go race it. I rebuilt it and it was really nice...

Then I got a brand new one and I've had it for over a year and raced the snot out of it. I keep my cars like new and hate worn parts, guess what, this thing is awesome...

I have literally saved 100's of dollars racing this buggy....It's that good....

I keep checking the outdrives and cvd's and thinking what steel do they use, it's awesome.....I did replace the cvd pins in the center axles, but they were still good.

I bent the rear outer hinge pins on a huge quad. I mean huge....

The chassis got a little bent, but not bad, and with the new chassis with the long rear brace it stays perfect....

I just recently replaced the front center axle and cvd thingy. The chassis came with the rear and the front pin that rides in the center diff outdrive was worn, the losi would have been replaced 3 times by now...

The center diff is still perfect, the a arms are all original, so are the inner hinge pins, and even the bushings....I really can't believe it...

The shocks have never leaked or needed anything but oil and cap bushings and shock tower standoffs. try that on a losi.

The radio tray has nostripped screws.....Losi, nope...

The wing mount is not even bent, Losi hmmmm.

Oh tie rod ends, just as tight as when I took it out of the box not joking...

the a arms have the smallest ammount of movement on the hinge pims, they look beat up but don't need to be replaced.....

I just replaced the servo saver parts after over a year and it never failed me. It centered every time. My xray can't say that.....The fuel tank, perfect, I don't know what some guys are doing to theirs but no problems there...

The bumper was worn down ok 6 bucks....

original shock towers, losi, emmm no...

The clutch, Mugen has the best in the business....I replace those fairly often and the clutch bell does wear a little faster than other brands to be honest, but never had one strip....

Even the little plastic bushings in the hinge pin holders are still tight, it's amazing.....And the plastic rear toe in block is worn, but not sloppy....

The diff gears look like new, now I do clean my buggy fairly often....

The thing about the Mugen is you have to experiment with setups. the guys who sell it after two months learned nothing about tuning. It takes a bit of trial and error to make this car really fast, but once you find the sweet setup for ur driving style and you clean it reguarly, it will outlast any car i know of....

and another thing. Ho many revisions did they make on this car....very few....Mugen did it right......