R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2004 ROAR Electric Off-Road Nationals Coverage
Old 06-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Brandon Rohde
Tech Fanatic

Hey everyone,

Sorry I didnt get a chance to post yesterday. By the time I got my cars finished, it was almost 3AM and I was beat. I have some pictures of the track on my friends camera, but still need the USB. I will run to Target later and pick one up.

Within a few minutes, I will take some pics with my own camera of what tires and stuff look like. Its pretty wild... 2 runs and the tires are slicks in the middle and no longer even drivable. After 3 runs the whole tread is gone.

On Tuesday, the track was REALLY bombed out. There were some complaints because there were 4 inch holes in the driving lines and on the face of jumps. Some of the doubles you couldnt even jump. That night though, the track crew must have worked some kind of magic. Today the track was primo all day long. They took a 20 minute break during the day for minor maintainance, and it proved to be worth while. Props go out to all the guys who were up late last night fixing the track and making it work awesome today.

The traction here is just insane. Personally, I like it because its totally different that what we normally run at home. From what I have heard, there was over 400 pounds of sugar put on the track to give it a ton of bite. Maybe steborg can verify if thats fact or rumor.

Right now, its hard to tell who is the fastest because we havent done any actual racing yet. Of course, your normal top drivers are going to be at the top. After controlled practice tomorrow, I will try to get some of the drivers times. Right now, high 19 second laps are the quickest in buggy and truck. 4WD is about a second faster.

Setups are also pretty wacked. They are working really well, but they are far different than what you would normally use. I'm not sure what the Associated guys are running, but I will post my Losi setups later tonight. Everyone on the Losi team seems to be pretty close on the setups.

Another cool thing about this race is seeing all of the various 4WD cars. JConcepts has their lastest BJ4x4 vehicles here, and the lastest version of the X-5 is here as well. The X-5 is a new conversion coming out in late July that converts the Losi XX-4 into a single belt drive system. Their new chassis just arrived yesterday, and it loos really nice. It is all molded graphite, similar to the graphite you would see on the Losi vehicles.

Well, we are off to dinner for now. I will post some pictures of tires and the cars when we get back.