R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Track building and maintenance
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 03:43 PM
yzracer758
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I figured since I am learning through trial and error on building obstacles/maintenance, so many guys here know much more than me, and I want to hear from you guys what you are doing to keep things dialed.

here are my first few questions:

how to keep the track from blowing out and cracking like a lake-bottom effect....is it a lack of water? I think we need an aerator to put small holes in track, the surface is rock-hard and I dont thing the water is soaking in so it holds moisture.Yes, more water will keep the track surface together, depending on the surface tho, too much can create rough spots or holes in low spots.

When I am building a double with a 5ft. approach, how far apart for the peaks of the two jumps is average? I want to be able to downside the second jump nice and clean.Alot depends on traction level,and 1/10 or 1/8 vehicles and the height and angle of the take off jump. More times then not people build doubles too small or short in length. 5-10 foot gap would be a pretty standard sized double

When I do a moguls section.....how far should the spaceing be? just assymetrical with a couple fast lines through it?how tall should they be for 1/10 buggies and SCT's?Most of the time Moguls/whoop sections dont mesh well with 1/10 vehicles. For SCT's its not too bad as long as they arent too steep. 6-10 Inches tall, with about a half to a full car length apart from each other will provide for a good time!

when I am rolling a jump out with a sod roller, or even trying to hand tamp it, why am I peeling up the top layer with the tool? Is it too wet obviously? After I build the jump and its not packed, but semi-formed, should we roll it dry first? THen wet pack?Yes, too wet will cause the top layer to stick to whatever your packing it with. A light water is all you need.

Thanks! I hope this thread takes off and maybe gets stickied! This could be very useful info for many of us affiliated with brand new tracks that are experiencing learning curves in building. Just take your time, it might take a bit to figure out what works best for your situation but when you do it makes for a great track!