R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-3
Thread: Mugen MTX-3
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Bivens
Tech Addict

What kind of Diffs are in the MTX-3 and how often do you have to rebuild them. I have a NTC3 right now and there is alot of maint. on the drive train with this car. (mainly diffs.) They can withstand 2 qualifiers and a 30 min. main but then they are done. Thanks, I am thinking of switching. Also, how does it drive compared to a Ntc3?
Gear diffs.....almost NEVER need rebuilding.....I've got over one-gallon on my rear diff now with no-signs of leaking or trouble....still feels exactly like it should.....You may need to buy multiple diffs to speed-up changes....(If you want to change the feel of the diff...you must empty the fluid and re-fill with another...no simple screw to tighten...but no adjustment to change unexpectedly either....)

I ran an NTC3 last year.....There is NO comparison.....this is a REAL car...the other was a TOY....I wouldn't even sell it to one of my friends....that'd be cruel......seriously....there is MUCH less maintenance with the MTX than with the associated.....No-longer do I spend hours between weekends inspecting the car for broken and bent parts and bearings......This car is TOUGH.....it's primarily put together just like the 1/8 scale....little to no maintenance and minimal breakage.....and at the track, you can concentrate on setting it up rather than repairs.......off my soapbox now......it's a great car....The toughest out there....

One way makes the car faster when taking turns, it gives you a little less on power streering from my experience
I'm not sure what setup this speaks about.....but....the One-way will usually add steering off power compared to a front-diff....simply because the front cannot have any drivetrain drag transmitted ot the tires....while the rear has some minimal drag-brake due to friction in the drivetrain...even when you do not use the brakes.......

On-power....a locked front end whether One-way or spool should drive the same...providing a lot of on-power steering because both wheels drag the front-end in the direction they're pointed....without any diff motion to loose the pull......

Over-all.....a front diff should be more forgiving...but will likely be less agressive and slower than a CONSISTANT driver with a spool or one-way......Personally, I like a spool at unfamiliar tracks or tracks that are slick.......I like a one-way on flowing tracks without braking zones.......If you've gotta brake and turn-in at the same time...that pretty-much rules out the one-way for me......and I like my brakes.......

I can set seem to figure out where the hole is. maybe you can post a pic?
Look right behind the 2nd-gear pinion (rotate the clutch bell very slowly...there's only ONE hole....about 1mm diameter.....Insert allen-wrench or music wire here and feel for the notch in the clutch-adjusting nut.....