R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GQ tires
Thread: GQ tires
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Demetris Taylor

Thumbs up GQ 1/8 scale tire performance

I am very happy with the all aspects of performance with these tires. I have been running them since late April and this is the first time I am posting my opinion on them. I wanted to really put them to the test before I said anything in here about them.

I just recently returned from the 1/8 region 2 regionals in Richmond VA. The track surface was sealed and treated with VHT. The grip was great for me through practice, all four qualifiers and a 30 minute A-Main. I'm not sure what tires the other racers were running but there were alot of cracked rims and severely chunked tires over the two day event. I didn't chunk one tire and didn't crack any rims. The GQ tire wear was extremely low, surprisingly low. I used one set of 35s front and rear for all of my practice, and all 4 qualifiers, and I could of used them in the main but I didn't. I put on a new set for the A-Main, cut the rears down to 75 mm and the fronts to 68.5 mm. I finished the 30 minute main with 72.5 right rear, 72 left rear, 65 left front and 66 right front. Truely amazing. I do know the winner of the race was running Super Gs and he almost burned all the rubber off of his front and rear left side tires.

I am a believer in GQ tires now. They are the best tires I have ever used, and I have used UFRA, Ennetti, Ellegi, and GRP Fast tires. And I will admit I am not the cleanest driver, I do hit stuff from time to time, and I have yet to break a GQ tire rim. I actually bumped the outside barrier of the high speed sweeper 4 or 5 times during the 2 days and no chunks, no bends, or breaks. The other cars that bumped it the same way I did came back with huge 1" chunks missing.

BTW, I finished 3rd in the A 0:0.13 of a second behind 2nd place, with lots of tire and grip left.

Last edited by Demetris Taylor; 06-07-2004 at 07:52 AM.