R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Can someone explain anti-squat a bit to me
Old 06-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Banshee8530
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattnin
Weight transfer or load transfer is a function of only three things, the wheelbase, the CG height, and the braking or forward acceleration force.

So, because anti-squat raises the rear ride height on acceleration and thus raising the CG height, load transfer to the rear wheels is increased with anti-squat.
Allow me to respectfully disagree. The purpose of the suspension is to control weight transfer. That is why we have so many spring and oil choices. Every adjustment on an RC car is to make the weight transfer in a way that is optimum for best performance.

Everything you said in your earlier post was correct except this statement:

"Raising the rear ride height because of anti-squat on acceleration promotes rearward weight transfer"

Not trying to pick a fight, just pointing out the error in your thinking. Raising the rear ride height effectively transfers weight from the rear axle to the front axle. Anytime you use anti-squat you are limiting the amount of weight transferred rearward through the springs thus improving on power steering. Anti-squat promotes weight transfer through the hinge pins instead of the springs. Associated electronics Cheat Sheets support what I'm saying. So does tmail55. There is some initial traction to be gained with anti-squat, but it can easily upset your set-up if there is enough traction present or you have too much A.S. It does this by resisting compression of the rear suspension on rough tracks. Sure, it does push down on the track, but that downward push turns into jacking if the A.S. Force exceeds the net downward force of the chassis, and it always pushes up on the chassis as hard as it pushes down on the tires. See Newton's Laws. This is the balance I was talking about. If you have so much anti-squat that your car's chassis is lifting above normal ride height, you are transferring unnecessary weight to the front and losing rear grip.

The force generated by a 3-degree anti-squat setting is less that 5% of the total forward driving force generated on acceleration. Thus when traction is low, the benefit of anti-squat is only 5% of a very low number and quite limited. The weight transfer from the chassis squatting is far more beneficial in this instance. This is supported by AE's statement:

less anti-squat:
• more side traction in corners
• more rear traction for slick or bumpy surfaces

To simplify my answer, and to more correctly address your question, TT; yes, anti-squat is the angle of the rear inner hinge pins. This is always used to describe an angle upward toward the front of the car. It is used to generate lift on jumps and improve on-power steering out of the turn. You can have too little and too much. Too little would mean no steering out of corners(pushing). Too much would result in loose rear-end late out of corners and poor performance on rough acceleration zones.

Last edited by Banshee8530; 06-04-2011 at 07:48 PM.