R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Making the switch to an Xray, need some advice...
Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 AM
CraigM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC.Jon22
At my local track the Tamiyas are almost non existant. It's basically me and 1 other guy who comes once a month to run Tamiyas, then everyone else does Xray. I have to drive far or order online to get Tamiya parts, while Xray is available close by. I did notice the price is a bit high for parts, but not that much worse than Tamiya hop ups, plus I noticed there are aftermarket options (Spec-R, 3Racing, etc).

I'm almost ready to buy it and use my Novak setup, but I have one last question. The guys at the track were telling me about the different versions so I went online and researched. It looks like there was a T3 that came in two options, rubber or foam, but it has been replaced by the Xray T3 'Spec' - is this correct? I plan on racing on asphalt in the stock 17.5 class, so I'm assuming the newer Spec T3 is the one to get? Or should I be looking for one of the other editions?

Thanks for all the help guys...great forum!
Yeah you want the T3 2011 Specs. They used to do US (foam) and EU (rubber) editions but I don't believe they do that anymore.

Personally I would get hobbywing/speedpassion ESC, I always preferred the feel of them over the tekin when I raced spec classes.

FYI I've also switched tamiya to xray and I love it. The tamiya was just as fast and parts were cheap, but I had similar issues as you with supply and I've found the xray is much more durable to both crashing and wear, so even though you might pay more for the parts you replace them much less frequently.

Good racing