R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 AM
mini-dub
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by annonymous
Hey guys, i asked this question in the offroad thread, but its probably more relevant in onroad, so here t goes:

Can I get some honest opinions on viper motors? I'm looking at getting something very low turn (3.5 or 4.5). How do they perform when they get hot, and how do the respond to gearing. I'll be using it in a dirt oval car, so the application is like off-onroad lol

I ask because I have not been very happy with ballistic motors, because they heat fade very badly among other things. Ive been pretty impressed with the viper stuff, so id like to use their motors.

Thanks!
We have been very happy with the low turn modified motors in onroad applications. Our higher turn motors are known to be a torquey motor and require taller gearing, but once you get to 5.5t and below they like a very similar gear to a LRP or SP equivalent wind. They don't like to push 200*, or you may begin to melt things. Try to keep them below 180* on a run to run basis, which usually isn't too difficult. Usually 160* for a low wind mod motor is the average.

The 2.5-6.5t include the 12.3mm rotor, we have been switching to the 12.0mm in 4.5 and 3.5t to smooth out the bottom of the powerband, yet it still retains a ton of torque. I finished 6th at carpet nats this year in mod tc, my power system was top notch running the VST 4.5 and 12.0mm rotor. It's equally as strong with the 12.3mm, if not stronger.