R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 966
Thread: Serpent 966
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 AM
nitrodude
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by J.Gonzalez
QUOTE=P2gee;9136022]One of the best things I ever did to help my 1/8 scale driving, was stand under the drivers stand and watch A-main drivers steering and throttle inputs. You can look at their eyes and tell what part of the track they're on and what they are doing radio wise to manage that part of the track. First thing I learned is most were using very small steering inputs..... I at the time was cranking the wheel lock to lock. This told me I had some work to do on my car setup including some of the radio equipment I was using. Second thing I noticed was how much half and even quarter throttle was being used in places I thought were full pin. Half throttle can get you around some parts of a track just as fast a full and save tire and fuel in the process. I still to this day watch drivers on the driving stand, you can learn a lot!!

If you ever get chance to attend world championship race GO!!!!!!!!!

You will learn a ton just by watching the top guys and LISTENING to the car on different point of track. I also recommend you volunteer corner marshal for the top guys if you every get chance especially at different corners and parts of track. Fantastic way to see and hear the different driving styles with regards to steering input, throttle input and actual placement of the car.

The races are expensive to attend but honestly well worth the time and money spent even for joe club racer like myself. You will learn more in a week than you do in a year![/quote]

I've done this, maybe not with WC drivers, but with the local fast guys at least. It helps to see where they let off the gas for the turns, and it will also help with setup. THere used to be a corner in which I was clearly slower(the track is closed now), I volunteered a whole weekend to marshal that corner and I learned where the fast guys were letting off the gas, when I tried to do the same my car just went straight, my setup was off, made the changes and I was faster right away. The same thing happened with another corner where I had problems.

One thing most of us do is hit the brakes way too late, and that slows us down a lot.