R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ad overlays by GumGum on OUR photos?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
squarehead
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig
Well I don't play in IE unless I have to so can you give a screenshot of what you see and what version are you using? Or are you using something else? It probably is just a page format error.
Nope, it's something similar to GoogleAds, except it is now a script that covers the bottom of every posted photo in a thread, with cookie-driven links to some random website looking for a click-through. The ads have a watermark on them from a site called GumGum that sells a software to imprint forum photos with ads.

IE isn't an issue, as it hasn't been produced for Macs in 7 years. I'm using FireFox and now using AdblockPlus in the browser, I can block all ad scripts form RCtech. It's unfortunate to have to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but the GoogleAds were slowing down the page draws here already, and this put me over the edge. Blocking everything is the only option.

I screen capped an example from Safari attached below. You can close the individual ads on different images, but there is no way to block them all from popping up on every image that is linked externally. Blocking the script using contemporary browser plug-ins is a simple yet broad brush option.

dc

Last edited by squarehead; 09-16-2012 at 05:49 AM.