R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - On-road noob looking for a starter car.
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Evoracer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
Hey Guys. I'm a off-road veteran racer, but a total newb when it comes to on-road. I'm looking into getting an on-road racer for a GT class (17.5 or 21.5). What's a good car to get my feet wet with? I'm looking for a low cost starter car. Just something to test the waters with to see if I like it or not. I like realistic cars, so GT looks interesting. I was looking at the TC4 and the Tamiya TA-05. Are these decent starter cars? Lipo ready? I have a bunch of 2s lipos, so I would like to be able to use them.

I've already invested the bulk of my money into 1/8th scale off-road, so I can't break the bank with on-road.
Either car should be great. Others might include the Losi XXX-S, Tamiya TB03. The TC4 is plentiful and since it's still available as a RTR, you should be able to find or get parts at many shops. If you don't mind ordering parts online from shops or Ebay, I can definitely vouch for the XXX-S. The TA05 is a good car but not in it's basic form. Needs just a few little things to put it at the level of a out of the box TC4 or xxx-s.
Really wouldn't suggest cars like the Corally. Nice stuff but expensive parts and upgrades. Maybe once you've made the decision to stay with onroad or not.