R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - CA Glue
Thread: CA Glue
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 08:07 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by rough512
YOu use super glue to close cuts? as in wounds? First time I heard of that. I've seen the surgical staples but this is the first time I heard of glues.
If you ever wondered why CA works so great sticking your skin together... there's one obvious fact - IT WAS DESIGNED FOR IT!!

If you bothered researching it, you'll find that CA was originally designed as a replacement for surgical sutures in the 1970s. First saw active usage in the Vietnam War.

Used correctly CA is very effective for closing skin to skin wounds. You need to know its design properties and it will do a fantastic job. eg it sets fastest in moist environments (breathe on it to accelerate curing) and the bond is strongest perpendicular to the join interface (glued 2 fingers together? don't try yanking them apart, you'll rip the skin off).

Naturally it is non-toxic and is totally bio-compatible - it will not poison you. Hospitals use CA on a daily basis especially for kiddies; what they use is more expensive only because it is supplied in sterile packaging. And heck, anything sold by medical suppliers are always marked-up majorly.

(lest anyone suspects I don't have a life -I don't- I wrote a uni paper on adhesives for industrial design)