R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Motor/esc recommendation for a racing noob
Old 05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Timmahhh
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by igetbombed
So I can run in 1/10 mod truck with my xxx sct....it's open to any motor/esc with a 2s lipo maximum battery.

So based on "any motor esc".....do your recommendations remain the same?

I'm surprised no one mentioned castle creations? I was told "they are the best". Am I off base here?
If you plan to run mod, you'll have to make sure the speed control will handle the motor you're using, 8.5 is a typical mod short course motor, more turns will be milder, fewer will be faster. As a self proclaimed noob, I wouldn't start out with any fewer than 8.5 turns since it takes an experienced driver to turn a faster motor into faster lap times. Even a 10.5 would be fine for a smaller or slicker track. I would suggest getting a speed control that will handle fewer turns for future motors and I also like to leave a turn or 2 of "space" from the speed control min. turns to what I'm actually running so the esc isn't constantly hot too. Motor brand doesn't matter as much in mod since you can go much faster than you need to with any brand. Just look for sensored motors over sensorless.

In mod, esc timing features are much less important since a good initial motor choice will make timing adjustment needs minimal. You don't need to eek out every last bit of power like in stock, or be class compliant when no timing is allowed in stock. (Side note: I say "timing" generically to cover all timing/boost/Turbo/supercharge functions on various speed controls)

The tekin RS will still do all that you need it to, but is still pricey. It has a ton of tuning options which can even be a bit overwhelming . Lrp has the spx zero which is a nice esc at a nice price, but cuts it close with a 7.5 motor limit and wont do sensorless, although sensored motors are smoother from a stop, and are generally preferred for racing. The lrp is easier to tune but has far fewer options

There are a bunch of options from some other manufacturers too. Ill let others chime in with their experiences on those.

Castle is a pioneer in brushless, and still make some great sport systems, but I think there are better racing systems out there. They do have the Sidewinder sct system with the 4 pole motor. I've heard a lot of good things about this system, especially for around $120 for motor+esc but its sensorless which may cog a little from a stop, and I don't think its roar approved if you check out any big races.