R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Flying Monkey
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
The XXXMain book (which, I think, is a reprinted/reformated version of the old M-Power book that I use) is WORTH IT'S WEIGHT IN GOLD. But try to convince people to buy it. They'll buy every sparkly goo-gaw for obscene amounts of money, give up on a chassis and spend hundreds on something else, BUT THEY WON'T BUY OR READ THE $10 BOOK!! USING the book requires thought, etc, when it is far easier to hop on fora and ask "what's the hot setup". I LOVE racing those guys because they haven't figured out that the "hot setup" for someone else at another track is NEVER optimized for their driving style or track. So they're usually the only guys I can beat

It's like "give a man a fish he eats for a day, TEACH a man to fish he eats for life". THAT is where the value of the book comes in. Setting up my VTA TC5 I started with a widely available rubber tire stock setup (Josh Hohenstein) which was very good, but then I started dialing it in to my driving style (such as it is) and our typical track. After two seasons it is as dialed as can be. Bob Stormer commented on how well it turns, etc. And it's not me, I'm no tuning genius...I just READ THE BOOK and figure out the adjustments that apply to tune out the characteristic I don't like so much or dial in what I think I want. And it always works, go figure.

The X-Ray book that came with their "ultimate" setup station (and is available to download on their site, or it used to be) gives some general tuning advice, but where IT shines is showing the order in which alignment setup should be done once changes have been made.

Rant over.
I myself lack in set up ability and knowledge so I will definitly try to get my hands on this book.

On a side note what is the general opinion of the HPI e10 for vta? My son got an offer on CL for as as a partial trade for his buggy set up. Im not really finding much info on them other then advertising. Its just a roller that is offered.