R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Okay, I really need your help trying to pick some stuff out
Old 05-26-2004, 09:23 PM
aviaar
Tech Adept

Default Okay, I really need your help trying to pick some stuff out

I can't seem to figure out what the best electric equipment would be for myself. I plan to race at a local carpet track.

First off, I think I'll get an FM radio, but is the synthesized system worth it, because do you really need all those channels, or would a standard set with one backup crystal be enough? And if it is (standard set), is a computer radio really justified if I will only be racing one car? And then even further, what is the best company to get the radio from? Is Hitec good enough? I've heard a lot of good about Airtronics and JR, but what do y'all think?

Next, I can't seem to figure out what ESC I need. The track I plan to race at is pretty short with a lot of turns and no real extended straights. What is a pretty good ESC that has the best combination of price and specs? Are the more expensive ESCs really worth it? Would drag brake be a helpful feature/necessary because of all the turns? I'll be racing stock class, so I need it to be punchy. Are the lower level quantums good or pos? What about Duratrax? Are the GT7/QC2 really worth it, even on a tight budget?

Third, I've a heard a lot of different thigns about motors. I've heard of the large companies, like Trinity and Orion, but I've also heard that the smaller companies like Putnam and Fantom come out with the better motors. So which company should I seek out and which motor then for a short and curvy track?

Okay, that's about it. Well, I guess I'll tell you my other decisions and you can critique me there.

I plan to get a T1R. Plan to use Fukuyama or Pro-Match batteries and having them assembled at the company. Plan to use a Duratrax Intellipeak Digital Charger. Sound good?

To let you know, I'm on a somewhat limited budget, but I don't want that to stop me from being competitive, so I could make a few exceptions.

Thanks a lot.