R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Octa Wind and Non Octa Wind
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 AM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Please know YOUR shit before YOU post...

The power output of an engine is equal to the force it exerts multiplied by its velocity.
In rotational systems, power is related to the torque (τ) and angular velocity (ω): P(t) = Torque (t) x v (t).

For an electric motor, the instantaneous electrical power P delivered to a component is given by P (t) = V (t) x I (t)

where
P(t) is the instantaneous power, measured in watts (joules per second)
V(t) is the potential difference (or voltage drop) across the component, measured in volts
I(t) is the current through it, measured in amperes

In none of the textbooks on the subject are there any constants as multipliers or divisors, so I can only assume that you are trying to make some unit conversions. This is not necessary for an electric motor.

This information is freely available from any source on the internet, so I recommend that people look these things up for themselves and not rely on things posted on here. If I believed everything that everyone writes on these forums, I have been doing my RC racing, and my engineering, wrong for about 40 years!!

The current in an electric motor provides the torque, and the voltage provides the revs (or angular velocity) so Wingracer's description is correct.

Which, I am afraid, does not help the original poster answer his question. Our experience with X12 Octawind motors is that they run hotter than others, but do seem to have more power when geared and timed correctly. My experience is that motors from Tekin, GM and the X11 LRP are less fussy to work with. HTH