R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - want to go 1/8 electric buggy
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 AM
MasiisaM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go for it!! You will find it's a great class and offers a lot of excitement.

Now with that said, you really need to see if it's something you want to dive into. You can get by on "cheap" stuff, but you will find out sooner than later, the cheap stuff will eat up a ton of time, money and energy. 8th scale is a lot more expensive at the end of the day.

I not going to go too far into brands, but first off you need to look at chargers and their capacity.

IMHO a 5 amp AC/DC charger will not cut it for a 4 cell 5200 mah batts. It takes sooo freaking long to charge with this type of charger. 1.5 hours easy.

Any DC charger and power supply with a min of 10 amps - "around" $200.00 for both charger and power supply.

ESC and motor - IMHO stick with Tekin ($329.00) or MMM ($269.00) Others can chime in, but that’s my opinion.

Replacement parts – Factor in all this power wear parts out. Drive train and TIRES get hit more than SC or 1/10 scale. That all depends on how often you drive, but you have to stay on it.

Batteries – 4 cell lipos are more than 2 cell. Cost is all up to you. $50 per back all the way up to $250 per pack.

Good steering servo - $80 is about what you would expect to spend. More if you want more.

Then comes the car kit.

That cost is pretty straight forward. I wanted to touch on more of the other costs that you might not haven seen once you grab the car kit.

I hope it helps and have fun at whatever you decide.