R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Boost is Dead
Thread: Boost is Dead
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
davidl
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gonzo416
I am no one but here are my .02 cents: The problem I see here is it is impossible to make everyone happy.
I agree with having a slower spec class for those who need it.
I also agree with a boosted class for those who need it.
I also agree with a mod class for those who need it.
What I am getting at is that the classes should be organized by the amount of racers wanting to run it. Plain and simple. Where I run I get the same lap times with a 17.5 boosted as a 10.5 blinky. We figure they are pretty much equal so we allow 10.5 blinky and 17.5 boosted to run together. It can be done due to the size of the track and the skill of the driver. Is it fair? Yes to those that can handle the speed. But no to those who think they can handle the speed.

Lets get to the point of this topic. What this hobby needs most, people are not willing to give. A-main drivers need to teach others to drive and setup their cars the right way, but this valuable experience and knowledge that they have accumulated by the sweat of their brow and their own frustration is impossible to pass on in a short time. This is difficult for those sponsored drivers to do because it takes up their R & D time and they are not paid to give up such valuable time. They also need to practice and try different things to stay fast and on top. The result is, rules change constantly to make the entry level driver think he is a racer. There is no motor, speedo or class that can replace the fact that you have to learn to drive before you can race. So this discussion will go on for generations because hobby shops cannot afford to pay an A-main driver to teach others what he does.

I am a decent racer, but I am always looking to learn more, and one thing I know is you do not get faster by racing in a class slower than what you are capable of, or racing in a class faster than what you are capable of. Until we have a sanctioning body that can oversee every club race and big race then the chaos continues.

I give the post above an A+. However, I don't fully agree with the final paragraph. I believe you can still learn when running slower speeds. It takes a desire to be so perfect with your setup and driving that a mistake on the track of more than 3 inches off the perfect line is unacceptable. This takes tremendous discipline. Once you master that, then you can graduate past that level speed. I do agree you will not learn much racing a speed you are not capable of. That is when you go back to what you know and increase your discipline to drive perfectly.

Regarding the sanctioning body thing, ROAR has been thrown under the bus for making efforts towards that. This is the reason the Regional Directors have become appathetic. And we elect those people. Sad, very sad.