R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Will Lipo Batteries Be The Best We Ever Get?
Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
MindThoughts
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default The Ultimate Battery For RC Use- May Be No Battery At All.

A very good friend of mine, retired from NASA, explain to me that the technology for transmitting electricity wirelessly, enough to power full size automobiles, is already here(NASA has test the technology and it works). He explain that this technology can safely power a full size electric automobile.

That said- it's clear this wireless electricity transmission would also be sufficient for electric rc model use. My friend also state that the technology is no more dangerous than that which we already widely use today with satellite transmission of television to residential homes.

My understanding is that we would use a receiver(no battery), which would receive the needed electricity, which would power the RC's electronics, and Brushless electric motor.

PS. On a side note: I've been running one CellPro Powerlab 8(40amp 1344watt) Battery Charger for about one year now, balance charging at a minimum of 30amps- which takes 6 to 10 minutes to charge my 2cell or 3cell 5200mah 50c Thunder Power LiPo's. I use the 43amp Common Sense RC Power Supply which sells for just over 100.oo. If you use a battery larger than a 3cell and would like to charge at rates of 40amps(provided your lipo's can accept such a quick charge- see the maximum charge c rating of any given battery) you will need a more powerful power supply.

Thunder Power now has LiPo's which can accept a 12c quick charge(See Thunder Power G6 Series). To find the maximum charge amps such a battery can accept- multiply the 12 from 12c, by the Mah of the LiPo. For example, 12c x 5000Mah = 12 x 5 = 60amps maximum charge rate. And as stated by Thunder Power, this is with zero battery life loss. These will be my next LiPo. Although my charger will only charge up to 40amps. So it seems this far, battery technology is again ahead of the abilities of the latest and greatest high powered balance chargers/battery workstations.

Before ever charging these LiPo's at 30amps, I double check with Thunder Power that this is safe, and will not reduce the life of these batteries. Thunder Power assured me that there is zero life loss with their G4 LiPo's(also see Thunder Powers G6 series- accept a 12c quick charge) and they offer a 2year warranty and that if I experience any life loss, power loss, or any problems- the batteries will be replaced free of charge.

That said, my original 40c Thunder Power LiPo's had begun to lose power after one year of use, which Thunder Power replaced with the new model 50c lipo's. And I had always charge the 40c LiPos at 5amps(1c charge rate). So far, I've been charging the 50c LiPo's for one year now- at 30amps, with back to back all day charge and run and charge and run- without any cool down time(LiPo never exceeds 99degrees while running in my 1/8th scale buggy) and stays about five degrees within room temperature while charging at 30amps.

Last edited by MindThoughts; 04-21-2011 at 07:34 PM.