R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MUGEN SEIKI MRX5
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 AM
asw7576
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
All rite already. The wheel disc helps to block air from entering the front of the body which is a low pressure area. The lower we can get the pressure under the body the more down force will be created by the high pressure area that exists out side of the body pushing it down and attempting to crush it. Want to see this work? Suck the air out of a soda bottle. This is the basic principle of "ground effects.
The cornering effect is provided by presenting the air rushing around the sides of the body with a surface to push against when the wheel is turned. With just the wheel disc this air is only meeting the resistance of the leak that still exists between the wheel and the bodies wheel opening and the small gap that exists between the disc and the i.d. of the wheel. Now if we add another disc to the face of the wheel this steering effect will become much greater because the resisting surface is now in direct contact with the air that is being forced over it.
The other benefit which I have tested much more than I would like to admit is they REALLY help keep the rim from bending when you bash into stuff. Be sure to c.a. glue the edges if your a repeated basher.
So in short, get them. put them on the car cause they LOOKBITCHIN'
Is it possible for you ( or anyone ) to test it again with lap time recording, I mean using the transponder and lap counting machine.

Using two identical set of wheels :

test 1 : with wheel disc ON at inside and outside, do it for 4 minutes
test 2 : without the disc at all, do it for 4 minutes
test 3 : with wheel disc ON at inside and outside, do it for 4 minutes
test 4 : without the disc at all, do it for 4 minutes
test 5 : with wheel disc ON at inside and outside, do it for 4 minutes
test 6 : without the disc at all, do it for 4 minutes

Pick four best lap times from test number 1, 3, 5, and average them ( divide by 12 ).

Pick four best lap times from test number 2, 4, 6, and average them ( divide by 12 ).

And compare the result ?