R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Custom Carbon Fiber Parts - Cutting Technique and Safety
Old 04-21-2011, 09:47 AM
soulstice
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Custom Carbon Fiber Parts - Cutting Technique and Safety

I'm interested in creating some custom chassis from carbon fiber sheet for myself. Since there is no parts or mods section in the forum, I picked this particular forum since it seems to have the most activity. If there is a more appropriate forum, mods please move the thread.

I wanted to summarize some of the information I've come across and wanted to look to those who have tried making parts themselves to weigh in any additional tips or advice they may have.

CUTTING
From reading other threads it seems like most people without stationary shop tools use a rotary tool with a cutoff disc or a hack saw to make their cuts. If you have one a scroll saw works as well.

To keep the cuts accurate, people seem to print out a diagram 1:1 and adhere it to the sheet with double sided tape or some temporary adhesive.

To minimize the roughness of the initial cuts, I've seen recommendations to also use making tape along the areas where you will cut to minimize fraying.

Screw holes seem to also be made with rotary tools or a drill press if available. After making the cuts, people sand the edges using progressively finer grit paper and finishing the edge off by sealing it with super glue, CA, or nail polish.

SAFETY
The carbon dust created by the cutting seems to be something to pay particular attention to. People usually work in a well ventilated area outside of the home. You don't want it on your skin or lungs so it seems the proper procedure is to use a mask with HEPA filtration, wear gloves and long sleeve clothing.

To minimize the dust created by cutting, some people choose to cut with water flowing on the sheet. Others create a box to encase the dust in a specific area and still others simply put a vacuum close to the cutting too to suck up the dust. I suppose you could do all three of these in combination if set up right.

QUESTIONS
1. How do you keep a long cut clean precise using hand tools?
2. What is the best way to make sure your holes are precise, can you tap carbon fiber or make some kind of mark to guide the bit?
3. Any other tools to have handy not mentioned above?
4. Anyone know how manufacturers cut carbon fiber? Lazer, CNC mill, water jet?
5. Will a standard HEPA rated filter on a shop or household vacuum be sufficient to catch the carbon dust, or is there specific rating it must meet?
6. How do you dispose of the water used to keep the carbon dust down properly?

Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated.