R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 04-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Paul L
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Chris08527
Paul,
a while back you talked about tire prep for asphalt, can you post again? can't seem to find it after a pretty good search

also any good starting points for the 11 on asphalt?

their are many ways to do tires well but the problem with lots of tricky ways is that it is hard to get the same good result every time. the way that i do it is not the best way but it is very consistent so i choose it.

so here is where i left off last time i ran asphalt.
with new tires i will start by cleaning the tires, motor spray will work. this is to get the mold release oils off of the rubber. then for first run tires i like to use a more aggressive sauce such as Fx2, buggy grip etc, I use a aggressive sauce that i call LG 1, (this BC a new tire is less able to absorb sauce with its freshly molded serface, so with new tires you can get away with saucing more aggressively). On second run tires i will simply use a oil, such as tire tweak, LRP top grip asphalt, MR33 oil. I use a thick oil that i have that i call LG 2. it is similar to those other three sauces. so for second run and so on tires i use a different sauce such as those just mentioned, those sauces do not penitrate the rubber nearly as much but simply keeps the tire from drying out with its opened pores.
The reason for selecting a different sauce on second run and so on tires is this, I feel like once the tire wears the rubbers pores become much larger which is obvious, this allows the thicker oils to penitrate the rubber without attacking it. So Simply put i feel like using a aggressive sauce on the second run is normally a bad thing BC a aggressive sauce will cause the tire to overheat much more during normal warm track conditions.

the simple routeene for me on new tires is to clean and sauce with a aggressive sauce to start, 20 or 30min on new tires. then second run i will rub in a few drops of the different sauce (non aggressive) and let sit for 40mn or so untill dry. if you use too much of the non aggressive sauce it will not dry well and the tire will be greasy. so for second run and so on i will apply a small amount, rub it in and let air dry, then run.

this is the only way that i have found to always have good results.

Thanks