R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Virtual Reality R/C racing???
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 12:46 AM
ScottKelly911
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by audgen
Here's how I'm imagining it would work. The racer would be wearing a virtual reality type helmet and their buggy would have some type of video camera on it. As the racer moves their head the camera moves with them. Instead of watching the buggy from the driver's stand the racer would be seeing the track from a 1/10(or 1/8 etc.)scale drivers viewpoint, from inside the buggy

In theory, could this be possible with today's technology? If not, whats missing?

I'm pretty sure "virtual reality" is not the right term for this. I'm not sure what you'd call it really....

Thanks, Tracy
There's a airplane type of vehicle that has a camera on it and you control it using the screen on your iphone and you tilt the iphone, so it's kind of similar. The only problem I see with this in a car is that they move so fast that the turns really aren't visible from inside the vehicle until you're right on it. If you watch some incar footage on Youtube, you'll see exactly what I mean. What I'd like to see is a good video game that allows you to use your real life transmitter and allows you to make tracks, that way you can try to emulate your local track. Included would be different types of surfaces such as loose dirt, sand, clay, carpet, concrete and asphalt. You could make offroad as well as onroad courses, elevation changes and you'd be able to choose different types of compounds for tires and setup the car differently. Think of all the games like Grand Torismo or Project Gotham's. They made the cars extremely tuneable, this game would be the same! You could choose different classes as well as different views such as "Drivers Stand" or "in-car" But for obvious reasons Drivers stand would be the most realistic. With some good licensing, the cars could be real vehicles currently offered. I'm sure the manufacturers would love to be a part of it as to promote their vehicles as well as introduce the top level cars to potential new hobbyists. Hmmmm...EA or Activision, are you listening?