R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Axial .21 Engine
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 03:57 PM
JLock
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1BLADE1
well more good news to say on the Axial .21RR-1
so far on Gal. 3.5 and just keeps getting better........
now, like "ALL Motors" good maintance is a PLUS !!!
i know many will Atribute a good motor by "How Long" parts will last?
this could not be futher from the truth,
sometimes just can be hit or "Miss" like in all the Motors i have tried and tested and reviewed

i would recommend after about a gallon to a gallon and a half really go over the motor,and like all race motors it is a "Good Idea" to replace the Conneting rod,as motors get better and faster some parts can be more prome to wearing out a little faster "During the Break-In"
i have tried O.S. motors and the con rod goes in 3/4 of a gallon?
sometimes that same motor can go 5 gallons?
many will "Argue This" and that is Ok, maybe it worked for Those Individuals? but like the saying goes, "Luck Favors the Prepared"
all the motors out nowdays are really good,no question about them,
but during any break in it can put allot of stress on the connecting Rod,of ANY motor.......

like "Any Race Motor" think of it like this?
you have to replace your tires right?
same with the Motors there a "Mechanical Device" and parts can Wear out? just the Nature of the sport.......

so, after about a Gallon be a good idea to replace the Connecting rod
there "Inexpensive" roughly about 20.00 to 22.00
and check the Wrist pin and any other moving parts.

well so for last few races it has been a Pleasure just knowing this motor can hold a VERY Good Tune, once "Warmed-Up" will hold there Idle as long as needed, now what i have noticed after Breaking in one thing this motor best responds best to is letting it "Warm Up"
i see many just start the motor and BAM!! this can put stress on ANY motor....
like any motor
give this one at least 30 seconds to get a little warmed up if you have to get rolling early, even going easy on the first lap or so on the warm up laps, you'll be highly rewarded with a great lasting motor if you do......

so as i mentioned in a earlier post we have been mostly finding the limits of running in a truggy, can say with out a doubt this is one of the "FEW" motors out there UNDER $250.00 that can push a truggy with serious PUNCH and best of all run time.
so far on most of the tracks i have been on, were getting OVER 10 minutes of runtime,this in a truggy with good low end power from a .21 sized motor is somewhat rare, they are some but can be a bit of a hit or miss......
and fewer still you can just go into a Hobby shop,buy off the shelf,break it in, race tune it and have it run like a Hot-Rodded Mod .21 that is "STOCK" with no modification !!

the places where i race some have asked, does it feel like a .28?
no, that is a whole different Animal.....i can say however this "Particular" motor has a More Usable power band than a .28
and if you HAD to compare it to how fast it is? cause i know and it's always fun to see who's car is faster...
yes, it has some very long legs!!
i can not even comment how many have asked what it is i have in my Truck? as from the straight aways it does look pretty mean down the straight.......many still think i have a O.S. .21XZ-B "Speed"
no, it is a Bone Stock Axial .21RR-1

for those that may now already have one?
again any Tech Questions be sure to get in touch with the guys over at Axial ,
i hope to as well be able to provide them with more input as the weeks go by.......

and if your ever in the Area at Revelation Raceway come by and hit me up be happy to help with anything i can do to help

soon i am Hopeing to get my friend to get the Videos up soon so everyone can check them out.
Also we'll be at the TLR Series at Revelation this weekend for the Final round,if anyone is in the area and like to see it as well.....
Any more on your experience with the 21RR? Like your insight on what this engine is doing for you.