R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT8 Class--buggy-based on road electric!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Missle
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kcunamay
I would say no because with a center diff/motor brakes your single point of stopping power is the force from the motor-pinion-spur of diff and the available traction provided from your front and rear wheels.

With the dual brake setup, the amount of force applied front and rear is at that specific end of the diff housing. Bias is ubtained by tightening the collars on the cam.

Drag brakes can help, but can also kill cornerspeed not to mention ADD HEAT to your electronics. I believe its all comes down to driver preference and driving style. With a free setup (no drag brakes) you can brake while going straight coast into the corner and power out vs having the drag brakes on througout the turn until you apply throttle.
But yes the single point of stopping power is motor to spur, put if either the front or rear locks, the force is transferred to the other. In other words, there is NEVER lockup (unless I slam on the brakes) which means I have total steering into, mid and coming out of the corner. This was the key element that the "local pro's" were teaching me. Not saying one way is better than the other, but just trying to add another option.

"With a free setup...you can brake while going straight..." but that's the same as using the drag brake except you don't have to move the throttle to the brake end of travel and you can actually ride the power better during the curve cause your trottle finer is slightly on power instead of pushing forway on the brakes.
With the drag brakes on, the braking force causes the weight transfer to be placed on the front wheels (giving more steering grip) going into the turn, power is added to the point just before the back wheels spin out.
But then again, I could be totally lost and doing it all the wrong way. That's why I'm asking and discussing