R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 02:29 PM
coopasonic
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bossman429
I'm sure the 3 is a totally different design as I think it is also shaft drive. I have a race buddy with one that I can check out when the season starts at the end of this month.
Looking at the pictures of your cars, the RS4 Pro3 is very different. It is still belt drive, but the layout is very different.

This spring I got the urge to get my RS4 Pro3 out to play with my almost 5 year old. The 1500 mAh NiCads wouldn't take a charge and the charger cried about it so I went to the LHS and asked what I should do. They sold me a 7 cell 5100 mAh NiMh hump pack with promises of glorious run times, telling me that I would just need to grind off a nub on the chassis (I don't know the names of any of these parts) to make the longer battery fit.

Turns out the nub was there to make sure the battery didn't touch the gears that drive the belts. My new battery pack now has two neat grooves on one end.

I started thinking about the same thing you guys are doing, rebuild with brushless and lipo, but then I decided a newer chassis would be a better idea and I hit ebay... hard. Even knowing that I have 2 different TT01 rollers on the way (plus a XXX-S and a Rustler, yeah I told you I hit ebay hard), now you have me thinking of reviving the Pro3 again.

I even have the Castle Sv2 on my amazon wish list.

I think I cooked the motor over the weekend when the pinion gear came loose at speed. I guess that's more reason to get the brushless motor and esc.