R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Worried about reliability of soldered connections
Old 05-23-2004, 07:30 PM
UCHEATULOSE
Tech Master

Originally posted by fatdoggy
UCHEATULOSE - Firstly I know one guy at my local track who uses deans ultras and he's very quick. Second you can buy deans piggytails which already have wire soldered onto the deans plugs. All you have to do it solder the wires to the cells. I doubt there is much difference between direct soldering and deans overall.
you mentioned soldered or soldering 3 times in that reply..this guy doesn't want to have anything soldered. he is claiming soldering or using solder joints is a bad idea.. he mentioned in hard hits the solder joints will come apart yet the rest of the car will survive ok? lol if you own a r/c car you will at one time or another be required to solder something... you might as well accept that fact and learn the proper method of a quality solder joint. again the best plug in the world over time will need to be sanded or shined up ..over time a well used plug will become suspect..i good hot iron (not a gun) in your pits is a must when racing..playing around and bashing plugs are for sure the way to fly..avoid soldering "guns" like the plague...if your serious about racing learn to solder..just want to play use plugs just my .02 but i have yet to pick up a r/c mag and had the winners car at a national event with plugs and pig tails and anything other than directly soldered..not to mention they remove the speedo cases and receiver cases to save weight..and thinking about speedos..ever wanted to replace those old wires or had one cut back so short it didn't reach your motor anymore? yup thats right they are also soldered in..i find replacing those wires on a regular basis ..in oval the placement of your electronics can be important..i cannot think of one negative effect directly soldering your electronics,batteries and motor has on performance..if you are in a wreck bad enough to break a solder joint you have more problems than that with your car,lol..get a broom and dust pan to pick it up...

as for the use of the cap button: did i hurt your ears? or did it effect your eyes when you read my post? loosen up