R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2011 1/8 On-Road IFMAR World Championships, Miami
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 PM
fraz
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
Never seen anyone talk about it, is it a IFMAR rule to have your tires sprayed?
[I am not at this event, though I would LOVE to be]

It has been about a year for me since I read over all the international rulebooks but I have yet to see any rules on tire sauce. For those looking for "IFMAR" rules, you might want to look at the EFRA rulebook. It has always seemed to me that IFMAR follows EFRA as a model for majority of their guidelines and rules. And while their is a lot of bureaucratic overhead in EFRA rulings (read their posted meeting notes<g>), they all seem to make good sense when they get 'em on paper.

To the guys asking why not let everybody run sauce? It is not quite like indoor carpet racing, but the same principal. If everybody runs different sauces, they end up all mixing on the track and who knows what weird conditions they can encounter. Track could turn to junk REALLY fast. Race control's idea to spray tires with alky sounds funny but it made all kinds of sense to me when I heard about it. FTR, I have NEVER been impressed with Enetti gluing technique and they have been splitting at the seams for over a decade. I wouldn't point the finger at IFMAR for creating this problem.

Some mentioned black stuff coming off fresh cut tires. Isn't it possible they were scuffs and had already been run and skim cut? Seems quite plausible they would have track goo come off of them when sprayed.

We all agree that traction compound is only good for a few laps at best and many ask why bother. Seems simple but the reality is if you are lined up in a qualifier say mid-pack, and can get that advantage to charge to the front that much quicker... open track in a qualifier is golden!! I would totally shoot for this myself or my driver if wrenching.