R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Worried about reliability of soldered connections
Old 05-23-2004, 12:24 AM
JPHRacer
Tech Adept

Originally posted by stumper
Dont listen to that guy....You dont HAVE to have $100 iron to make good solder joints. I have a $6 towerhobbies 60 watt iron that works like a champ. It sounds like the iron isnt getting hot. Give it a couple minutes before you try to solder. You should be able to melt solder on the tip with ease before you can use it.

and one more thing. Use the thinner solder like the 1/32 stuff and not the 1/16. Its melts quicker and makes less of a mess.
I never said you have to have a $100 iron, but it helps, and it will by far outlast any $20 iron. Thats a fact. I can leave my iron on all day at the track 7+ hours and not have a single problem with it. I have left my hakko on for 2 days straigh on accident with no problems. Tip is still fine. Hell at the birds my iron was on for damn near a week straight, mon-sun in our booth, and there was no problems with it. Try that with any $20 iron. I had a bunch of "cheap" irons that all burnt up untill I got a good one.

say what you want, but not only will a good station work better, but it will last for years (2,3,4,5+) While a $20 iron will have a hard time making the season, if your racing week in and week out. Thats a fact jack.