R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
ScottKelly911
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SEF
So for club racing at OCRC, they allow 3s setups? Because if they do, than that's great! I think the battery limit rule for 1/8 scale or 4x4 SC is misguided unless you are trying to establish a stock class.

For 4x4 SC, I've had more problems with overheating motors, malfunctioning esc's, and puffed lipos trying to push the limits of 2s (which every racer does), as opposed to being in the normal operating range of 3s.

You get more runtime, lower operating temps, and higher safety for the racer with a properly set up system.

I hope ROAR and other tracks would allow the correct battery and motor for the application.

Why not be like 1/8 nitro buggies which allows any motor up to 0.21 in size with any fuel. It's like saying you must run an RTR motor with 10% nitro for all 1/8 scale nitro buggies.

Just my rant for the day.
For club racing, yep, they allow it, so cruise on down. For the Big races such as the JConcepts race this coming weekend they don't because the title sponsor adheres more closely to ROAR and is in compliance to their rules.

Originally Posted by hacker07
It has to do with cost and the fact that it is a 10th scale class. These really should only go so fast. Our truck handles the power, not all of them do. But nothing wrong with 2s, we just all want too much power, lol.
Ryan,
You're right, there's always going to be that element that just wants more and more power and eventually meet the point of diminishing returns and have a truck that's uncontrollable and undriveable. We'll leave that to the bashers who want to run 4s for high speed runs. But for most of us, we just want to run a system that has enough power in reserve to make it over any jump on the track and have the added safety of never having to worry about heat issues or burning up motors/esc's which in the long term will save us money as well as saving the manufacturers money from having to give out replacements all the time. Honestly, I'm pretty sure all the 4x4sc's currently on the market can handle the 1/8 scale motors. I had one in my Slash 4x4, people routinely ran them in their Ofna's as well. Though they're called 1/10 scale, its much closer in build quality as well as size to an 1/8 scale class. I can put my SC body over my 1/8 scale buggy and it fits almost perfectly. True 1/10 scale would be closer to the size of the HPI Trophy Truck. Also, when I first put my truck on the track with 2s and my 1/8 system in it, my truck was so slow that it was I was at risk of getting plowed from behind on the straight. When I put my 3s in it, it was about equal to the 550 can motors. Because of the higher KV that the 550's are putting out, they have a higher top end, the 1/8th systems replace their lack of KV with higher volts. In this application, they end up pretty much equal with the exception of having a weight penalty for the 1/8. 4s or higher on the other hand would be different. If you want to drive my truck to see how it is, I think you'd see what I mean that I don't have an advantage having more power because it's actually about the same. But I do have the advantage of not having to worry about heat and burning up my motor Lastly, I want to address cost, these trucks are coming as rollers which are great because it allows people to put the motor/esc's of their choice into their rides. People are already running RX8's with the SC4X 550 motors which is on par with the price of the RX8/T8 motor/esc combos. For racers, the price difference is negligible. I really just think the rules were put in place before the class had matured and we saw what these trucks were capable of. ROAR and other race organizers should be open to changing rules as a class matures and more knowledge becomes available such as this case.