R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread
Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 PM
8ight-e
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KingdomRacer
This is not so, the 42 tooth spur gear fits in with no extra shimming whatsoever, just the shims that are already there in the kit.
I have cut mine down and I'm only using the part that goes under the CD as for the motor mine has a real LCG because it's mounted directly to the chassis with a TEKNO 36mm motor mount.
Another thing that is a benefit with the larger spur is more low end torque.
Originally Posted by Chuck 21
8ight-e is sticking to his story, he believes his story and he's sticking to
it....LOL"
First off torque with brushless motors are more a function of your battery than any gearing you could ever throw at it.. so don't go there. These are not brushed motors 2 teeth on a spur will do nothing for torque or effeciency in fact effective torque will go up as you gear up (smaller spur, larger pinion) as long as your temps are not going over max and your lipo can handle the load. Now that we have that out of the way you can understand why all this work to get any different spurs for effeciency that isn't there is all a load when dealing with brushless systems and lipo's. You will only reduce temps and increase run time by gearing down (raising total ratio) so if you increase a spur or reduce your pinion you will reduce your top speed, increase run time and normally reduce motor temps on most tracks. I say normally because yo can go too low and this will result in creating heat as well. This is my story I'm sticking to it because it's right. I will say if your motor is too close to your center diff like the other guy a change in spurs could be helpful on that aspect but trust me I've geared all sorts of different combos to get the same ratio and with a brushless motor and lipo you don't feel any difference unless the ratio is different.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 04-04-2011 at 05:06 PM.