R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MUGEN SEIKI MRX5
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Vector03cobra
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
i have never measured the gap between the flywheel and the motor i never had to, and really it dont matter, what matters is the gap u have with no bearing on the inside of the bell and no shims either on the inside or behind the thrust bearing, just with the thrust bearing in see what u get thats how u will know if the flywheel is ok the smallest i have seen was a .8 then some cones give u like a 1.2 gap, then u shim behind the thrust bearing to your liking i shim it to a .6, then i put the bearing in the inside and shim the inside till i get .1 to a .2 gap end play...
I know HOW to shim it.

That is how I shim it also for .6 and then very little end play.

I do not know how else to explain it to you a few people seem to have figured out what I was talking about.

Here is a different example.

The Crank it self is only so long it only sticks out of the motor so far.

If you start by placing the cone on the crank and then the fly wheel you get a gap measurement between the flywheel and the motor.

Now as the GAP grows its using up the usable distance on the crank this distance you all use to shim the clutch to your settings that you like.

if the GAP between the flywheel and crank is to large for what ever reason...in this case the cone not allowing the flywheel to be back far enough on the crank.

Then you have no room to shim the clutch at 1.20 gap between the fly wheel and motor there is ZERO room to shim anything

Or at Gap 1.17 using all mugen parts there is still ZERO space to shim anything

With the fly wheel out at 1.17 and putting it all together ZERO free play now shims

After shortening the cone down to 5.0 from 5.5 I was able to get the GAP between the flywheel and motor down to almost .75 then there is a bunch of room to shim the clutch however you like.

And after some people posted they have used, and had used different cones on there motors and they also posted the GAp between the back of the fly wheel and motor I was able to compair and figure out what was not allowing me to have any free play.

Thats all i have i cant explain it any better.