R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi XXX-S
Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2002, 01:38 PM
Sydewynder
Tech Elite

Originally posted by R_Andersen
Droop and Preload questions
I've been working on gettting the ride height and droop set properly on my XXX-S and I had a few questions. I have the droop set at 3 in the front and 5 in the rear. I'm also running 4mm ride height front and rear. I have the short threaded shocks in front and the standard length threaded shocks in the rear and I'm running uncut proline foam tires. I'm also running the 1.0" springs front and rear.

The problem is that I had to run very little spring preload to get the proper ride height. Now when I pick the car up, the shocks do not extend fully to the droop screws. When I extend the suspension fully to the max droop, the spring is not under any preload. There is actually about a 1/8" gap from the top of the spring to the adjuster nut on the shocks. It seems that since the springs can not extend far enough to ever make contact with the droop scres, that the droop setting is meaningless.

If anyone could tell me if this is normal or what I need to do to correct it, it would be appreciated. I am assuming you would still want some amount of spring preload at full droop.

Thanks,
Rob

It is normal for the TC springs have some play when the car is off the ground and the shocks are at full droop. You don't want any spring preload when the shocks are at droop.

I would do the droop with the shocks and swaybars (if you have them) detached. After, put everything back on including wheels and use the collars to adjust ride height. After that check for tweak and adjust that out also using the shock collars.

Last edited by Sydewynder; 03-21-2002 at 01:45 PM.