R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Yokomo Part Search
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 05:15 AM
niznai
Tech Elite

Depending on the class you run and the grip available at the track, a spool might not be such a blessing. I have run one in a recent race and gave me no end of trouble, including snapping a driveshaft. I run 17.5 boosted, so quite a fair bit of power. My conclusion is that you really need CVDs with these cars if you want to run a spool, and I am not sure any available CVD will fit. Handling was very good, but the car doesn't feel like it is made for this kind of power. It torque steers a bit on takeoff, so be careful and smooth.

Parts are easy to find on ebay, and my suggestion is you get some spare suspension hingepins, otherwise you're going to stand by a lot.

The alu diff joints used in the BD5 fit and are much better in high power applications than the original plastic ones. The kit driveshafts whilst good enough for brushed/drifting are not up to Xray spring steel standards. My driveshaft actually pulled the pin out of the axle by shearing the metal around it. Not funny. The axle also only has two holes for the pin, so can't be reused. Most other axles (Tamiya, Kawada, Xray, etc.) have four holes, so can be reused, even though their metal is hard steel so it doesn't break that way (I have never seen one broken, they usually destroy the dogbone, or the pin backs out).