R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 12:57 PM
IH8VTEC
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Starting the rebuild

Finally got my diff parts in and started the reassemble. Let me tell you, a nice set of hex drivers is worth their weight in gold. I shudder to think about using those crappy L wrenches ever again. Do yourself a huge favor and buy some decent tools, it makes working on projects much more enjoyable!
my lovely tools!

hard to see but the old diff on top has lube just caked in it. got bored of trying to chip it all out with an xacto. diff maintenance, whats that? necessary!

reused the diff rings and bearings. replaced pulley and diff balls (carbide)

new wheels and tires, hpi te37 6mm offset and x pattern belted pro compound tires. very sticky!

clean shocks. filled with 50wt, looking for new springs for tuning options.

this was the layout and cleaning before reassembly. purple aluminum hex nuts were overkill but look oh so cool! also sourced some black m4 lock nuts for the wheels.

just parts of mah car...

almost as big of an upgrade as going to brushless was, spektrum 2.4, found new on ebay, pulled from a rtr kit. now my driving is sure to improve...or not.

Still waiting on some parts, ball bearing kit from Boca Bearings and a new steering shaft, A181 & A182. Mine corroded and the spring was rusted. Other than that I think I am good. This project kind of snowballed from dusting off the ole r/c car and seeing if it still works to jumping right back into the hobby, debit card in hand. This is a truly foolish undertaking as I could have bought a TC (almost a TCX) and built that for what this little nostalgic trip down memory lane is costing me (ebay kindly keeps my totals for me )