R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Ballistic Motor Timing
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 AM
ThrottleKing
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhavlena
Does anyone have any experience with using a Novak Ballistic 17.5 (stock racing) in touring sedan and increasing the mechanical timing past the 45 deg mark (past the sticker).

I noticed that the RPM can increase from approx 20,000 to upwards of 40,000 rpm (current draw increases from 1 amp to 16 amps).

Has anyone ever tried this in a 5 min race? I would assume that one would need to change the FDR dramatically, say from 4 to 6?

Is this what stock racers typically do? or do we know that this is not a good idea?

The way I see this, my 17.5 is now an 8.5 (since the Kv goes from 2200 to 5200).

Appreciate anybody's experience.

Thx
Yes, I use a Ballistic 17.5 and a GTB in TC5 witha 4.11 ratio using rubber tires. I set the timing at the 45* mark and I use a motor fan to kep the temps down a little. After a 6 min race mine comes off at about 140* If you have torque issues or feeling a little flat out of the hole set your min drive to the max. I can say that Ihave no issues with performance and am very happy with it. You shouldn't go beyond the sticker on a Ballistic because they check every motor and place the sticker on it in the right spot so the timing you select is what it has.

Jeremiah Ward