R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Ballistic Motor Timing
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 AM
emerge
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default timing

Originally Posted by Shawn68z
When I was running a motor with a spec controller (non-boost/turbo), what I found was that when I increased the timing to what I figured was close to 60 the motor got really hot, so I had to run a different gear. The car was really fast down the straight, but it sucked in the infield, becuase the motor wasnt making enough torque at the low rpms to pull the car out of the corners.

The other problem was the motor wasnt making enough torque to fully accelerate the car properly, and it never really reached a high speed until it was 75% down the straight which in my mind is way to late on our small technical track.

So there is a fine line, you can put a ton of timing into the motor to make massive RPMs, but the motor will not make it to those rpm range under load! So you will go slower. I have found from my own testing that 45deg is around the best power/torque setting, depending on the gearing.

If your track doesnt have a lot of bite to it, then having a higher timing setting to get rid of some of the torque coming out of the corner can sometimes help.

Shawn.
Is that 45 degrees motor timing or motor + esc timing.
And is that 45 degrees taking into account that Ballistics are factory set at 30 degrees without any endbell timing? Thus only 15 endbell timing?

From my experience Ballistics tend to take more heat punishment than most other motors on the market so have found them to be a little more ideal at stock level were you need to run a finer balance between lower FDR and higher turbo setups.
But what I am noticing more and more nowadays is that the end RPM is not as important as that initial burst of acceleration regardless of track size and technicality. How you achieve that without compromising too much I guess is the key in the end.