R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How expand XRAY X10 Link to 235 mm???
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Grenade10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
I would disagree with this. For the last two summers we have successfully ran a class of Open 2s Lipo 235 Pro 10. Most of are running converted CRC Gen X10 with the Calandra conversion. They work great. The hubs space out the rear an additional 15mm per side. We have never faced vibration problems. However spur gear can be eaten up fast with a heavy trigger finger. We have all moved to 48 pitch and use Traxxas spurs. The traxxas spurs last the longest and are very hard and durable. I personally run a 5.5 and we hit speeds near 60mph on the 215' straight at Timezone in Battleground, WA. With these cars we are only about 1/2 second off the 1/8th Scale gas lap times.

As far the Xray Kit you make be able to make it work using the Hub spacers on the rear but you may have to make your own spacer plates for the front.

Troy
Glad to here there are a few places left or new places starting to run this class again. We do have 15-20 cars here in Colorado (now if we could just get them to the track at the same time) and we have a few Darkside cars (what I run) as well as 1/2 the field run CRC and the balance made up of older cars or other conversions.

We run 10.5 / 2s cars and are faster than 1/10 nitro cars and just a tick slower than 1/8 scale 4wd. Anyway, the CRC guys have had some issues with the tire shake in the back, BUT it was when the adaptor hub was not attached flat. Once pulled off and re-installed they did not have an issue.

They have had an issue with breaking the axle on the diff side at the side pod. This has been with our hard boards on a parking lot. Probably too much leverage from the tire, adaptor, speed, weight if it hits. We also have gone to the 48 pitch gears as the 64 pitch just will not work.

In my Darkside I-Fource I have an IRS 235 axle which I space off the narrow pod. On the diff side I run normal spacers to get the width I want and the use Corally long 48t pinions. I am running HPI gears (as the pitch matches Corally, but will check out the Traxxas ones). On the left side, I have made a 7/8" spacer out of 3 pieces of brass tube that nest inside of each other. It still requires shims to set it up fully or adjustments. The smallest tube has 1/4" ID which just goes over the axle and then the next two sizes up. This has a very small rotational mass, so it does not affect the ballance of the car. I've run this same axle for 3 years. Broken 4 chassis, many bearings, a few ride height adjusters and it still work.

On the front, we made a graphite plate that mounts to the chassis and then the front end mounts to plate. You should be able to make this for the X-Ray car as well, but you may need a few more holes to help hold the plate. I've got the two for the front suspension and 2 additional ones on each side.

Hope this is some help.

Mark