R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Kinetic
Thread: Novak Kinetic
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 AM
GLOWHEAD
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by escman
Novak neutral point equals to 30 degree absolute timing.
We use a custom built timing jig that rotates the motor at a fixed RPM and we use a digital scope to set the timing between the coils and the hall sensors.
This is the only way you can accurately set timing on a brush less motor

If you are using our Kinetic ESC its best to use less then 30 degree timing on the motor.
The esc dynamically applies timing based on the motor RPM.
ESC can compensate for motor timing to a certain degree, its best not to run motor timing higher then 35-40 degree.
We use 30 degree number based on many years of data and we think its good compromise for RPM vs torque for a non timing esc.
Many of our drivers are using 15-20 degree timing on the motor and using the esc to apply dynamic timing at higher RPM to get the best performance and the lowest motor temperatures.

Most of the heat generated in the motor comes from the copper loss, meaning the winding and they are located in side the stator, you are reading the motor temperature on the outside of the lamination so the heat continues to flow outside to the cooler air even after you have stopped running the motor.
170 degree F means the internal temperature is closer to 200-240.
Once you get the internal temperature that high you will degrade the magnet on the rotor.

I hope this answer some of your questions.
Adnan
Thank you Adnan, I guess I need some further clarification. When you say not to run more than 35-40 motor timing, are you referring to the static timing on the motor case, or is that the total amount of timing between what is set on the motor case and what is applied dynamically? I am running 12th scale 13.5 Ballistic with the Kinetic 1s. I currently have the timing on the motor case set to 25 and I have 35 in the dynamic timing for a total of 60 degrees. Are you saying that that is too much total timing advance? If the minimum timing value that can be set on the motor case is 15, then the maximum dynamic timing value for that static value is what? I'm a bit confused as to why, or under what circumstance, you would utilize the maximum dynamic value of 55. Let me ask the original question again just to make sure we are communicating. When I take the timing value set on the motor case, what ever that may be, and add that to the value set in the dynamic advance, that sum should not exceed what value?

Relative to the motor temps, I guess that the motor, at any time, should not exceed 160. I am experiencing a nearly 50 degree rise in temp after coming off the track, or so it would seem. In that case, I would have to infer that an on the track operational temp should not exceed 100. My experience is that most guys check their temps track side, and may not be aware that the motor temp continues to rise after the run. Thanks again for your input. I am running the low res Novalink with a new bb and the 1.4.2 firmware, and the temp data is not functional. I'm just reporting that for what it's worth.