R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Novak Kinetic
Thread: Novak Kinetic
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
GLOWHEAD
Tech Apprentice

I hope I can get some clarification on timing. There are discussions out there about how Novak sets motor timing vs everyone else. What I have heard is that Novak's 15 on the motor is like everyone else's 0. I don't need a long explanation on that subject because I'm running a Ballistic, I'm only concerned as to how it applies to the Kinetic. I guess the basic question is how much timing, theoretically, can be applied to the motor? My understanding, right or wrong, is that we are working with a total advance window of 60 degrees split between the motor and the speed control. If you have 30 on the motor, you can only add 30 in the speedo. Does the speed control know how much timing is on the motor? I've never tried it, but I guess you can have the motor set to 45 and add 55 in the speedo for a total of 100 degrees of advance. Is that even possible? I've never run with anything exceeding 60 degrees total. I'm interested in any input, but I would really like to hear an explanation from someone at Novak.

After having a few overheating issues, I've started running telemetry to keep an eye on temps on the track. I have the alarm set to 150 and it comes on momentarily throughout the race so I know at times I'm tipping 150. I looked at the temp right at the end of the main and it was at 117. By the time I came off the stand, the alarm was on continually at 150 and the temp continued to rise to just under 170. Is the after run temp surge detrimental to the motor, or are the operational temps what need to stay below 160?