R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF417
Thread: Tamiya TRF417
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 AM
John.C
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geppetto
Raced my 417 for the first time this past Saturday, and I am very pleased with the performance of this chassis. Ok, very pleased is probably an understatement. I participated in a 17.5 Spec class, so speeds are not super fast. On our grippy indoor asphalt track, I found the 417 to be very easy to drive. I could consistently place the car where I wanted it on the track. Initially, I experienced a bit of push exiting a turn, but after a few adjustments that was resolved.

I was a bit frustrated when I first arrived at the track and discovered that I needed an FDR in the 4.0 - 3.6 range, and could not find a pinion/spur combination that allowed access to one of the motor screws. A couple of friends with 417 helped me get past that hurdle, though.

At the end of the day, I finished 7th in the A Main after getting a bump up from a B Main win. Yeah, it was a good day!
At the 'Coliseum' the high bite asphalt track actually favors the stiffer rear characteristics of the 417. With my 416x using the LiPO chassis I always struggled with the car pushing and not rotating enough. The 417 seems to rotate much better IMHO. We'll see how it works in medium to low grip conditions when we start heading outdoors for the summer.

Oh yeah great job this past weekend