R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What causes brushless motors to fade?
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 07:13 AM
chubbspeterson
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ChiMiniRC
But what happens AT 200+? What part of the motor is failing that is keeping it from being effective? My guess is the rotor loses its magnatism at high heat. I would also think a new rotor is all you need.
Yes, and no, you are correct that high temps do effect the magnatism, I think the bigger issue is what it does (the heat) the the epoxy and windings inside the can.

I know from running the LRP x series motors thay are just as fast as the DUO 3's and you can run them in the 200-220 range, they seem to be built very hefty. But they fade over the run, Personaly I know that I can run faster up front with an LRP motor, but the DUO holds up over the run=faster. (again for me)

All these motors need to be kept cool, I think what all of us realy have to look at is after we get the gearing right, is our driving style and our chassis heating up the motors unnessarly. (do you run fans?)

I have never tried to put in a new rotor into a overheated motor, I am not sure if this will correct your problem. I have a feeling from my own past experiences that once you overheat the motor once, it is only a matter of time till it lets go, and in my experience it is the epoxy that finaly melts...

Again I stress, if you are gearing correctly, and fring motors, someting else is wrong...(Driving style, Chassis)