R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RC10B4/T4 Forum
Thread: RC10B4/T4 Forum
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 AM
RURC
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Toadrick
Well, Hello, I am new on here. I haven't raced an R/C car for about 15 years or more. When I was just getting out of racing was when Traxxas first came out with its 1:10 scale gas. I never liked gas cars and being the age of 14 or so couldn't really afford the upgrade.

So I decided to get back into it again about 3 years ago and went to the hobby store and bought everything that they guy said I needed and I pretty much knew from before what I would need. Unfortunately I moved from So Cal to Chicago and there isn't any tracks in the city so into the closet it has sat for 3 years. I am moving back to California in 2 weeks and will want to get into it again.

I guess my question is....Most of the stuff I am seeing online is for gas or 1:8 scale trucks. Are 1:10 scale electric trucks still raced on tracks or are they just toys for grandkids now? I don't want to get a gas car, they are just to loud and complicated. Besides that I don't know if what I have is outdated so much that if they still are racing these types of trucks I don't want to show up with total garbage and not be able to compete at all.

So if you could help me out in being race ready I would really appreciate it. I am going to list the stuff I have which is what I bought 3 years ago. Since I was older and could afford the best that they had I bought it, but things change fast.

RC10T4
Novak GTS 17.5 Brushless motor system
Lipo 5000mah, 20c-7.4v
Pro-Peak Quattro plus charger
Airtronics MX-3FHSS

With the radio, I am confused. When I was younger we had little frequency plugs or something like that with numbers that had to match. This seems not to have that. Is that a new thing? When I am around other racers will my radio interfere with theirs?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You
Glad to se you getting back into a great hobby.

First gas is well on its way out. The electric brushless systems with lipo batteries are out performing them in every way except run time on the large scale cars. I have cars all the way up to 1/4 scale that are electric. I race 1/5 scale touring. The gas cars, even with their longer run time, are barely beating me. I am routinely in the top 5. But this season even that may change, I will be running larger 20,000 mah packs....anyhow back to you.

The parts you have are just fine. If your driving is up to snuff you will run right there. But there can be improvement.

The Novak, to me is a great introductory system. I have never been a big fan of Novak brushless systems. You should see some of the verbal fights Bob Novak and I have had over his systems. But the quality is in there and it will compete well.

Your battery can you give more information. Branding can make a difference. In racing not all batteries are equal. All batteries are fine for practice and bashing but you need the highest, most stable voltage you can get for racing. Lets face it voltage makes RPM. RPM makes speed. Core, Max Amps, Trinity, and the other top line units will provide the most stable voltage under a load. Buy the cheap packs for bashing and practice.

I am unfamiliar with your charger but the charger can make or break a pack. Hyperion and others make chargers that can care for your lipos. The changes in charger technology even just over the last 3 years is a lot. I suggest you buy a new charger. Make sure that the charger you get has compatibility plugs for the balancer on you lipo.

The radios now are generally 2.4 gHz systems and do frequency hopping. Basically that means that unlike your old radio the 'crystals' are digital and the radio reads the the air and hunts for the unused frequency and then locks into that one. This prevents cross chatter between radios. Plus you dont have the 12 inch or longer antenna on the car or the 4 foot one on your radio.

I hope this gives you the information you need.