R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya Porsche 959/Celica GrB
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 AM
niznai
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
Lucky guys you are have these cars. Would love to see a rerelease of them.
Naaah, you can buy these still on ebay, some BNIB.

Investing in these cars for their collectability is a bad idea always, as you have noticed already. That's one of the reasons I don't care to keep shelf queens (horrible name).

But a re-release won't happen because as I said the car is too complicated and inefficient. If anything, it would be nice if it was updated and re-released. There is so much wrong with the original though, it is not worth it, there would be a lot to update and it would end up being a completely different chassis. Come to think of it, the TA01 chassis they came up with is probably the updated version, still somewhat complicated (pointlessly) but a lot better. I have managed to shrink one of those to the size of a Tamiya mini chassis only so I could run my beloved Alpine bodyshell on it.

Nope, these cars are well and truly dead as far as mr Tamiya is concerned. Perhaps in their time they were an exercise like the Bugatti Veyron, they did it to see if it was possible, a white elephant dead from inception. The mid diff is one proof they didn't think it through properly, as it is just as useless as it is nice and intricated (read cumbersome) and impossible to adjust. I am telling you, this car needs re-engineering from the ground up.

A new release of the Porsche 959 in true 1/10 scale would be welcome though. (And FFS, Tamiya, a BMW 2002 Ti Alpina, how hard can it be?).

I will check if the Goose driveshafts fit if nobody can measure in the meantime. Good idea, I didn't think of it.

Some of those Goose parts are already available, the carbon version comes with pretty much everrything except the aluminium suspension blocks and for the price difference is worth going for it. The suspension blocks are however overpriced in ABC version, and the Yokomo SD fit perfectly and are cheaper.

I ditched the 2s battery in my Goose and use a saddle pack. Across the chassis, the 2s just hung out too far for my taste. A saddle pack lengthwise is brilliant, but I guess the market is not ready for it.

Last edited by niznai; 03-16-2011 at 03:31 PM.