R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies D8 Tips/Set-up's
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Razathorn
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

This is what I do:

start with BOOK SETUP...

Diffs 5/5/2 for my track (4/1 for center/rear is too light, 5/7/3 might be good too, track is huge for this change).

D8T long shock ends on rear shocks, shock length from center of top nut to bottom screw is 102mm in the rear, 35 losi oil (450 CST), 1.2 pistons. My car feels dialed with the short rear shocks and 1.2 pistons. You will have to snip the corners off the dust guard of the plastic rear hubs to run that much rear down travel without hitting the arms.

Front shock is book setup 100%, perhaps lighter oil or piston for a little more steering, but start with stock setup.

And for starting this season, I moved my front camber link in on the caster block as I saw all the team drivers doing this. Last year I ran it in the book position and it was fine.

Book ride height unless I'm on a tight small track, in which case I drop the front down 1mm to 28mm. If the track is really tacky, I drop the car overall 1-2 mm.

A word on the rear shocks -- long vs short. The car comes with short, the team drivers have said that the long shocks only offer an advantage in certain conditions, and they didn't always run them. Now days they just leave them on by default because they are never worse than the short shock setup, so there's no reason to ever run the shocks if you can run the longs. If you don't have the longs, its up to you if you want to invest in them -- I've never felt that I needed them, and I'm starting this season again with shorts for the 3rd year. I used shorts at the futaba nitro challenge last year and took 4th in the A out of 50+ in the expert (not pro) class, so it's not like they're bad. You shouldn't feel that you have to have the longs to compete.

Wayne