R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Sweep Racing Tires 1/10th Sedan thread
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 PM
SeanV
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ryan Lee
Sweep R series is the thickest and tallest tire.
We recommend to choose R series on outdoor asphat or low grip indoor asphalt or carpet.

Tire material of R series is same as QTS series.

RL
Which Sweep tyre would you recommend to run at this track?
Goole Earth Link attached inside the zip file.

We run in a clockwise direction and the track is sugared with a std water/sugar solution.
The track is prety bumpy and to give you an idea, running anything less than 6mm-6.5mm ride height is asking for trouble.
Track surface temps in summer can get pretty high at around the 50 degree C mark.

I recently tried a set of QTS 36's premount which I bought from the LHS and tested them in my HPI Pro4 which I use in the Open Stock class, which is basically, any chassis allowed but everyone is limited to a silver can motor.

I setup the car with slightly more camber on the left hand side to compensate for the sweeper after the main staright and there are more right handers than left hand corners.
Camber on the left = 1.5-1.75 degrees (give or take)
Camber on the right = 1 - 1.25 degrees (give or take)

Initially the QTS tyres gave excellent grip but by the second run (each practice run is roughly 6-8 minutes long) the tyres started to chunk/tear/rip on the outside edges.

I will get some pics a bit later of the tyres.

I bought a second set and increased the camber, running 2 degrees on the left and 1.5 on the right.

Same thing happened to second set.
But now they alse started to get the "ring of death" on the inside due to the increased camber.
Temps of the tyres after the practice runs come in at the low 40 degrees C.
42-43 degrees on the left and bang on 40 degrees C on the right

Can anyone shed some light as to why these tyres "let go" on the outside edges in such a short period of time?

To put this in perspective....
I recently started running 10.5 class and also Mod class at our local track using the Much Moore Sorex 36R premounted on Schumaker rims - running the same camber as stated above.
The speeds are much higher than the Open stock class and after 10 or so runs the Sorex tyres are still great and no problems with the side walls tearing/chunking.
After a 5-6 min run on the Sorex tyres, the temps measure in the high 40's on left 48-50 degrees and 44-47 on the right.

I am keen to try the EXP36 premounts which are also sold by the LHS, but I noticed they only sell the EXP 36 premounts which come with the white rims.
I speak under correction but for outdoor asphalt, ideally I need the EXP's on the yellow rims?

Can I expect better results from the EXP's? These tyres don't come cheap here in SA and I would hate to see my new EXP tyres end up chunking/ripping after just a few runs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
RC Track.zip (848 Bytes, 31 views)