R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Rc10ntc3
Thread: Rc10ntc3
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Solara
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by FFR3582
What is the major difference between running a 2 and 3 shoe clutch? I have both and have lots of extra new shoes to cut and play with along with the copper springs.

I would guess the 2 shoe clutch may not engage as hard becasue it will have a little less surface area on the bell?
Yes and No........my experience about the 2 shoes clutch is....using engine like MT-12 Sirio or those 1.4HP or less 3 port engine....2 shoes are very well suite....by using regular springs. And I felt like the engagment feeling is all about the SPRING that you use.
And like you said, because it has less contact surface compare to 3 shoes...it won't engage as HARD as the 3 shoes, but that is only with the regular motor...

Any input from someone with some experience with this would be appreciated. As of now I have two shoes cut down 4mm with copper springs bent to give more tension. I like my car to have some get go out of the hole.
I personally would not CUT a 2 shoes and have a HARD springs on it with the MT-12....the regular springs and full 2 shoes (no cut) is very SMOOTH on accel and exit on corner power.

How much difference does the dual chamber pipe make over the old single chamber pipe? I have a perfect single chamber pipe and used MT12 so I think I will be a little under powered. The guys in the SouthWest series offer some great competition. I will be getting a new 3- port turbo motor soon and RD logics pipe.
Get the DUAL CHAMBER pipe......it is a MUST, and you will know the different....dual chamber is like 2 speed vs 1 speed on your car...2 different stage on LOW and HIGH end power.....
If you are getting something like NS3 or NS5 those high power engine...you can try using 3 shoes, cut 4mm each and copper springs.....
If you look at the last couple pages of the NTC3 manual, AE explained the theory behind using 2 shoes and 3 shoes clutch pertaining to what TYPE of engine....
Noraml regular plug engine should use 2 shoes.
HP MOD and powerfull engine should experience 3 shoes with different springs due to the high output of those engine.