R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - True Cost to own RC Pro Buggies
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Miniracer23
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by camocowboy
I don't think you should want to hide the cost from a new comer. How would you like to be the guy that asked and was told oh you can do this cheap. Just grab a 500 used rtr and go race and win. That's BS and if the guy can't afford the up keep he is gonna be unhappy and out of the hobby with 500 blown that he could have used on something that he could afford to keep doing. If the initial startup cost is enough to concern you, don't even think about racing.

I love the how would Tebo do with old tires question. You think he would win? Where? He would own the sportsman race but against the same caliber of drivers that he competes against all the time, he would look pretty rough. So would anyone with that disadvantage.
I agree. I never said you can get a $500 RTR and race and win. Not that it couldnt be done. Someone with experience could probably take a Losi RTR and run up front at club and local events. I'm sayin I could budget my money and race competitively for around $3-4k a year.

As for Tebo racing, I do not think that applies to this thread. We all know 95% of Tebos cost, if not more are covered.

My input in this tread is about the average guy(or girl) wanting to race competitively and have fun doing it.

As for spending so much on a big race weekend on spare parts, tires and everything you 'might' need. In my experience, I havent needed all that extra stuff when I DID buy it. The expense of it ended up rolling over to later races and washed out. Not to mention, at those huge events, there is usually enough parts support to not have to "stock up".

I've seen it over and over again. Some guy with way too much money and not enough sense, buys 4 different kits or motors in a year trying to be faster, then boasts about how much money he has to blow to stay competitive. This is not baseball, money isn't gonna buy you championships. Practice, knowledge and good sense will.

Yes I unnderstand that this isn't a "super cheap" hobby. But, one can have fun and be competitive for a reasonable price.

If nitro is too much by these standards, than a newcomer curious about rc can always get a RTR sc truck and go and have fun.

Please don't run new fans and racers away. Or we will ALL be finding a new hobby soon enough.

Last edited by Miniracer23; 03-07-2011 at 07:14 PM.