R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - v2 orion motor
Thread: v2 orion motor
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 02:32 AM
antoniop
Tech Regular

If you look closely at the 2 second mark the power on the Hara is amazing compared with the vantage.
This is more or less the same diff that you have with "normal" motors like the Ti, Kr and even the Core (top).

My motor was a paper weight when I looked under the same light as the others. The ratio would seem like impossible to understand.

In fact this motor has to be geared so low that it seems like a 10 or a 9 ratio. But it still rocks. But i does it on a fairly big track where there's time to spool.
That's why I doubt that this is good for an indoor (i.e short) track.

On a big track is like having a 7th gear at the middle of the straight. It just pulls away.

It really shines after the 1st second. And there are not many tracks where you spend more than 1 or 2 seconds on a straight.

Ok, this is dyno racing, but now track racing....

The motor goes fast but accelerates slowly. I found out that you need to keep the revs in the middle range on the curves so that you keep the motor on the "zone". Then it accelerates as fast as any motor.
But do not try this unless your car is almost glued to the track. It takes some time to get used to it.

With an amazing low ratio it does not get hot at all (65-70º celsius) and after 9 packs the brushes still show some serrated on them.... (print brushes with hard springs).

It's a good motor, no doubt about it. However I would never have found out if I didn't spend a couple of hours on a dyno comparing it with motors I know already.
Without this knowledge I would just burn brushes and probably the motor trying to gear it closer to a regular 12...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	haravsvantage_!.gif
Views:	113
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	37997